Skincare is one of those things that we constantly hear is so important in maintaining a healthy complexion. But, when you are a mom, to a newborn or teen, sometimes skincare is the last thing you need to worry about. On here, I am sharing some of the ways I keep my complexion looking healthy and ways I find time to dedicate to a skincare routine.
BUYING THE PRODUCTS
This is probably the most time-consuming part of skincare. I mean, who has time to go to the store to buy products that you’ve found doing research or from a referral to have the chance that it’s not the right product for you? I certainly don’t and I’d rather spend my time doing something else. I have always been the drugstore cosmetic kind of gal. The only time I have ever purchased anything from Sephora was buying a gift for my niece. However, I have found that when it comes to skincare products- the better the product, the better the results. Personally, investing into my skincare routine is an investment into my overall happiness. My skin makes me feel confident which in turn makes me feel happy. Here are two brands I like that you can find almost anywhere:
- Olay– I always thought that Olay was a brand that I would need to look at when I hit my middle-age years. However, I have extremely dry skin which makes me very prone to early aging (hello fine lines and wrinkles.) I have been using Olay serums and moisturizers as a preventative measure since I was 17 in the hopes to help my aging skin.
- L’Oréal– I LOVE their clay face masks! They always make my face look refreshed and really help with the appearance of pores.
Especially during my pregnancy and first months as a new mom, I really had little energy to spend time on my skincare, so I turned to my BIRCHBOX subscription! I love the skincare product samples plus other cosmetic samples they send me for just $10/a month! Guys, my samples last too so, well worth the two Starbucks lattes a month that I sacrifice for my subscription! * This is not a sponsored post, I am just sharing what has helped me!
FIND A ROUTINE
I don’t have a regimen, I have a routine. That doesn’t mean that a regimen isn’t the right thing for you. I have many friends who love the Rodan & Fields products and often form a routine around a regimen that they purchased through a consultant.
What my routine typically consists of is in the mornings, I apply some eye cream/serum that will help combat my dark circles because, hello, I have a 6 month old! Then, I apply a very light moisturizer. (I hate greasy products so I have to go with something that blends in extremely well.) From there, my make-up routine differs but I really don’t like to put a lot of foundation or concealers on unless I have some marks on my face. I find that this has improved my complexion so much and helps enhance my freckles, which I love! At night, I wash my face with a very basic, gentle wash that won’t be harsh on my skin. Right now, I am loving Neutrogena’s Gentle Foaming Wash. It doesn’t dry my skin out and works really well to remove my make-up. From there, I use more nighttime eye cream, followed by a slightly heavier moisturizer to mask my face overnight. This sounds like it takes a lot of time but, it’s two minutes that I use of my day to invest in myself. (A perfect way to incorporate some “me-time!)
OTHER WAYS TO BOOST YOUR COMPLEXION
- Hydrate! Your water intake makes a huge difference on the appearance of your skin! If you are not getting enough water, your skin will appear more dull.
- Diet- The amount of nutrition you consume in your daily diet will reflect in your complexion. Sugar is notorious for contributing to outbreaks. Eat your fruits and vegetables!
- Supplement- I love supplementing my diet with prenatals! The extra boost of vitamins and nutrients has helped my energy levels, skin (hair and nails, too!), and helped me provide essentials to my baby through breastfeeding.
If you have other tips for skincare or keeping your complexion healthy and glowing, please share!