Now that I am an adult (and a mom), I have mixed feelings about snow days. But, there’s nothing better than a simple recipe for lunch or dinner that brings those warm feelings of comfort while you look out into a winter wonderland. Simple is definitely the key word when you have your babies and spouse home with you! That’s why I love to make slow-cooked chili on these days using my Crock-Pot (sorry This Is Us fans!). This recipe is so easy and sure to please the rest of your family on a snow day. This recipe serves about 2-3 and takes about 10 minutes to prep and 3 hours to cook.
- 2 cans of Dark Red Kidney Beans
- 2 cans of Diced Tomatoes (some brands have a “chili” version which adds a little more flavor)
- 1 package of ground beef or turkey (I prefer 90% lean/10% fat, helps cut the grease)
- 1 & 1/2 tsp. of Cumin
- 1 tsp. of red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. of garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. of oregano
- Shredded Cheddar or Mixed Cheese
How to Prepare:
- Place kidney beans and diced tomatoes in Crock-Pot and turn Crock-Pot to “Low Heat.”
- Season beans and tomatoes with cumin, chili powder, and oregano.
- Brown ground beef/turkey in a medium pan over medium heat. Season with garlic powder (and any other meat seasoning that you prefer).
- Once cooked, drain the grease and add ground beef/turkey to Crock-Pot.
- Stir ingredients and cover, cooking on “Low Heat” for 3-4 hours.
- When ready to serve, add cheese and any other topping (sour cream, tortilla strips).
An optional addition includes adding cooked brown/white rice or elbow macaroni pasta and maybe some wine or beer for your sanity!
Now curl up and enjoy that snow day with your family! Cheers!